Wednesday, May 7, 2008

aesthetic to ascetic, may 7, 2008

aesthetic to ascetic is my journal of my attempt to come to terms with my own fashion consumption.
as a designer/educator for over 20 years i have amassed and given away thousands of pieces of clothing. as i try to lessen my impact with food and consumer choices in this commercial world, i am constantly fighting my own ball and chain of a wardrobe. starting on may 12th i will wear each item currently in my possession once before any garment can be re-worn. i am working on an excel document with garment tallies and an elaborate set of criteria for the project. my preliminary count looks like i can make it 306 days without repeating a dress, sweater, top or fitted jacket. skirts and pants will be worn once then will be allowed to re-enter the rotation since i have considerably fewer of these items. more to follow on the guidelines. because my life includes professional engagements, i may be allowed a limited number of "safety" garments. each day i will post a photo of the look of the day. at the end of each day garments will be tagged and stored for exhibition, re-fashioning and sale/giveaway.

No comments: